Friday, March 14, 2014

Shamrock Weekend: Expo Day

We are here! After a long day of driving and traffic we have made it to the hotel in Virginia Beach. I have picked up my shirts and bibs and am relaxing watching Gossip Girl.

Aren't they pretty?
I was really impressed with how the Packet Pickup went. The numbers were divided up so that each stand only covered only a few numbers so there were only 3 people in front of me in the 8K and half lines. The shirts were at separate tables, and there was no rate for those. The shirts are really awesome. The 8K is a cotton long sleeve, and the Half is a tech shirt. I had forgotten that they came in XS when I registered, so I was so happy to have a shirt that doesn't swallow me!

I wandered around the Expo for about an hour. I didn't think to take any pictures (shame on me). I saw the medals at a framing table. The Half medal is HUGE, along with the Dolphin Challenge. I can't wait to get them!

I bought 2 Bondi Bands (because they are my absolute favorite and the best place to get them is at a race expo). I also got to sample some fun things like Waffle Crisp at the Post Cereal truck, and Nuun Hydration. The Nuun was delicious, and I almost bought some, but I really don't want to get into the whole flavored water thing. I'm happy with my plain, boring water.

I also entered to win a free race entry for several races I have been looking at, and I made my final decision to do Flying Pirate next Spring. There was a ton of great merchandise I wanted to buy, but I kept my wallet shut. Planning a wedding trumps over any running gear I think I need right now.

For the city of Virginia Beach itself, I have to say I'm not the biggest fan. Everything is kind of right on top of each other, and its a little grungy. However, I may be a little biased since my heart belongs in the Outer Banks.

Even if the city has failed to impress me, I'm still SUPER excited for the 8K tomorrow! The forecast is nice (better than it has looked all week, actually) and the race seems super organized and energetic. Stay tuned, because I'll be sure to report back with my experience tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment