Saturday, March 15, 2014

Race Recap: Shamrock 8K

I look a little too excited.
Today was day 1 of the Dolphin Challenge, and I couldn't have asked for a better race!

I woke up at the crack of dawn to try to beat traffic. I didn't really work, because there seems to be traffic 24/7 here, but it helped a little bit.

I got to the starting line pretty early, and made it back to my starting corral, 10 (which was 2 blocks back). But first, I had to snap a selfie with the start gate.

The race didn't start for about 30 minutes  but it gave me plenty of time to people watch. People came in all kinds of green clothes: tutus, kilts, leggings, hats, and I even saw a few green beards!

The race was sold out at over 10,000 participants, and the corrals filled up quickly.  The race started at 7:45, but those of us in Corral 10 didn't even see the Start gate until closer to 8. When they let us go, we took off and the magic started.

It is completely flat around here. Completely flat. I ran the entire 5 miles and it was easy. I'm the kind of person who has to walk up hills and after a few miles. Not today! I have never felt so comfortable in a run, it was almost like I wasn't even trying. I worked up a sweat because it was warm (so warm I even took my jacket off) but it wasn't taxing. According to my results, I finished with a chip time of 55:35 with an 11:11 pace. I am so proud of myself! (My gun time was 1:13:26 but that doesn't even count because I didn't start until almost 20 minutes after the gun)

If I can keep that pace tomorrow, there's no doubt that I will beat my goal time!
Also, I placed pretty well. I came in around the middle of the whole race, and pretty far up among the women runners.


The finish line was a different experience from ones I have seen at past races. They gave you everything in the finish chute- medal, water bottle, snacks, and even had photographers taking pictures in front of backdrops. The area went on for what felt like forever before I could get out, but it was nice to have everything in one place.

Some final thoughts on the race-

Course: Overall, the course was pretty boring. We ran down one street full of buildings, then down the Boardwalk with a view of the ocean (which was less boring), then back down some more streets with buildings, finishing with a view of the beach. I did like how flat the course was!

Medals: These medals are absolutely gorgeous! They are big (about the size of my palm, which is larger than I was expecting for the 8K), shiny, and heavy. The top has a bottle opener, and the ribbon is printed with the date. Completely worth it!

Atmosphere: What the race lacks in exiting course, it makes up for in atmosphere. Everyone was so excited, from announcers to spectators to participants. The fact that it is St. Patrick's themed makes it even more fun because there are some crazy costumes!

Spectators: There were so many people lined up wearing green to cheer us on! Our bibs had our names printed on them and some of them even took the time to cheer on as many people by name as they could.

Overall, this race was great. Maybe I'm just feeling really good after my post-race nap, but I feel confident that tomorrow will be even better!
Official Finisher's Certificate

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a great race! If you thought today was boring...brace yourself for tomorrow, especially for running through Fort Story. VB isn't exactly the most scenic place to run (except when you get on the boardwalk), but you are right, the atmosphere and organization of the race help make up for it! Good luck tomorrow, can't wait to hear how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete