Monday, March 24, 2014

21 Things I've Learned in 21 Years

Today is my 21st birthday! So in honor of this occasion, here's a list of 21 things I've learned in my years on this Earth.

1.Your passions will change. In high school I was the opposite of an athlete. I was in drama and chorus and I loved them. I swore to do them my whole life. Then I went to college and things weren't the same. Then, life presented me with a new passion. I appreciate and love my time I had with drama and chorus, but my life is in a different place now.


2.Always own a toaster.  Seriously. I didn't realize how often I needed a toaster until I moved out. Luckily there is one on my wedding registry, so worst case scenario I only live 2 more months without one.

3.College isn't everything. Having a degree, or pursing one, does not make you better than anyone else. I came into college thinking I was better than everyone at my high school who was going to community college or taking a year off. The main thing college has taught me is that 18 years old is too young to know what you want to do in life. I changed majors 3 times and if I wasn't graduating in a year, I would probably change it again. College is overrated.

4. If you're unhappy with something, change it. I had a job I was unhappy with. I tried to tell myself that I needed the money more than I needed to quit, but I finally reached a breaking point. I quit my job and found a new one. Your happiness is more important than any amount of money you are making. There's something better out there.

5. Straight A's aren't a definition of who you are. The first time I got a C in college, I cried. Then I realized I didn't care. C's get degrees. Don't let your GPA rule your life.

6.It's okay to break the rules. I'm not saying do this all the time. But skip class every now and then. Stay out late. Color outside the lines. I followed the rules my whole life but recently I've learned to go with the flow, it makes life so much more fun.



7. Hydrate with water, and banish the soda. As soon as I stopped drinking soda, I felt so much better. Now all I drink is water, tea, or juice, and soda actually makes me feel kind of sick! I still enjoy a small one as a treat, but carbonation is no longer my friend. Water is life.

8. Your mom is your best friend. No one else is every going to love you the way your mom does. I didn't understand things my mom did when I was younger, but now I appreciate my mom so much more. She's the bestest.


9.Try new things. For years I thought I hated jalapenos. Truth was, I had never tried them. I tried them and now I love them. You never know what you're going to like.

10. Be honest and tell people how you feel. So much of my high school and early college life would have been less dramatic if I and the people around me had just confronted each other. Don't expect the other person to know what is bothering you. If it causes confrontation, don't be afraid of it. Adults can handle confrontation.

11. Nothing good happens after 2 a.m. Thanks for that, Ted Mosby.


12. You're allowed to have more than one best friend.

13. Naps are wonderful. While sometimes you wake up feeling like you have been hit by a bus, the other times you wake up feeling like its a new day.

14. If you love someone, hold on to them. Make an effort to hang out with them. Talk to them. Don't let them go.

15. Owning your own things, while annoying, is rewarding. Zach and I bought a house in our early twenties, and we are way more proud of it than if we had rented something. Owning stuff is fun.

16. You can learn a lot from Disney movies. They're the greatest things to watch when you're feeling blue.

17. Cereal for dinner is pretty much the greatest thing ever.

18. Long distance relationships are worth it. 2 of my best friends moved away for a year. We kept in touch and I think we actually came out closer in the end. Make the distance work.

19. The internet is good, but the outdoors are better. As comfy as sitting on your couch watching Netflix is all day, the outdoors are way more interesting.


20. Having all day movie marathons sounds more fun than it is. Watching all 8 Harry Potter movies in one day may sound like fun, but in the end it just makes you really tired and it makes your butt hurt.

21. Life is fun. Like, really really fun. It may not seem very fun at times, but it is.

1 comment:

  1. You are so wise to have figured all of this out by 21! Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete