Monday, April 7, 2014

Race Recap: Liberty Mountain 5K


This past weekend was a busy one, with two races almost back to back (Liberty Mountain on Thursday night and The Color Run on Saturday morning, that post to come later).

The Liberty Mountain 5K is part of the Liberty Mountain Trail Series and was originally scheduled for February 15. However, it got snowed out and the new date was a Thursday night (which I don't really understand).

I did this race last year and was excited to run the course. However, I looked at the map the day before the race and discovered that they had completely changed the course! It wasn't even starting at the same building this year.

Slightly disappointed, I got to the race early to pick up my "packet". These races are run by Liberty University Student Activities, and they only cost me $10 to do. Because they are so cheap, all you get is a shirt and race bib. The shirts were long sleeve and heavy, and had the original race date printed on them. That would have been fine in February, but Thursday it was 70 out and it just seemed out of place!

I had gone to running class earlier in the day and done 4 miles with them in the 80 degree humidity, and was exhausted. Before the race, I ran into my friend Drew who has recently gotten back into running. I decided to stay with him during the race because I was so tired I was just aiming to finish, the time didn't matter at all.

The race started and I got a good look at the new course. It was very very hilly. Just like the Arctic 5K, it seemed to just keep going up and never come down. There was nothing too exciting about it other than the hills. There were a few bridges we got to run over, which covered some of the swampy parts of the trail (that was nice).

It was a pretty uneventful race, but I had fun nonetheless. I'll do it again next year, but mainly just because it's so cheap.
Finish line selfie in my Shamrock gear

No comments:

Post a Comment