Friday, April 25, 2014

I Drank the Kool-Aid

When I first started running Janurary 2013, I wanted to run 12 5Ks in a year and call it quits. I thought anything over 3 miles was crazy and didn't know why people would want to torture themselves in that way.

After 2 5Ks I said, "These things are over in like 30 minutes. I want to run longer."

I ran a few 10Ks in training. "This is halfway to a half marathon. I'm going to do one of those."

So I ran the half marathon. During my second half marathon I reached mile 10 and thought to myself, "This is almost over! But I was having so much fun..."

Today I signed up for the race that makes non-runners think that runners are insane. I signed up for a marathon. The Richmond Marathon, to be exact.


I've drank the crazy runner, torture yourself for hours, run 16-20 miles on Saturdays for fun, push yourself to the max Kool-Aid. I have signed up to join the marathoner cult. 

Half of my brain says, "Girl, you're crazy. That's running a lot for month in training, leading up to a 4 hour run at the end." The other half says, "You can do this! It's only double a half marathon! Nothing can stop you!" We're going to listen to that second half.

The other day I saw a Boston Marathon sign that said "I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 26.2", and have decided that will be my mantra throughout this training process.

Bring it on, Richmond.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to be at Richmond for my first half :) I just started running in earnest this past January and I've only done 5ks so far. I have my first 10k in June though and am gradually ramping up distance to get to the half in Richmond!

    ReplyDelete