Monday, May 5, 2014

10 Reasons Your Cashier Probably Hates You

I have been a cashier at 2 different places for 4 years now. Every day, customers do things (whether consciously or unconsciously) that just grind the gears of my coworkers and myself. Here are the top ten things that will make your cashier hate you.


1. You're on your cell phone.
I have gotten to the point where I actually thank people for setting down their phone when they check out. Please don't tell me to be quiet, I didn't choose to answer that phone call for you. The least you can do is give me 45 seconds of your attention to see your total and pay. That's all I'm asking.

2. You place all your money on the counter, instead of in the cashier's hand.
You can hand us the money, I promise we aren't going to give you germs. Also, please don't act frustrated when it takes me twice as long as it could have to pick up all the change. You could have just handed it to me.

3. You pay a $7.36 total in all change.
Take that change to a CoinStar and get some cash. No one wants to watch you count all of that out in nickels and dimes and then have to recount it, only to find that you are 10 cents short. Then you're just going to have to recount it and hold up the line even more.

4. Loyalty cards.
No, that's the wrong way. No, we can't look it up. I can't help that it's on your other key ring. I can give you another one if you would like. Please have these ready and facing the right way for us to scan.

5. You yell at us for something that's not our fault.
I can't help that you entered the wrong PIN. I can't help that you ordered wrong. I also can't help that you don't know how to pump gas. Please don't shoot the messenger.

6. You act like you know more about the store than the cashier.
Whether they have been working for 5 days or 5 years, the cashier still knows more about where they work than you do. We have to sit through days of training before they let us out on our own and believe it or not, they teach us some things in there. Don't try to tell me that the store down the street lets you do something differently, or that the other cashiers let you do it that way, because I know they don't.

7. You ask why we are working on a holiday.
There are a lot of answers to this question. Sometimes we are mandated to work, but we get to work a short shift. Sometimes we need money. Sometimes (like Memorial and Labor Day) we just don't have any other plans. If people didn't come in on holidays, we wouldn't be open. So really we should be asking you why you feel the need to be out shopping rather than home with your family.

8. You cut in line.
Not only does this make other customers angry, it puts me in a hard place. Do I ignore you cutting and wait on the next customer? Do I ignore the customer who has patiently waited to help you and your rude self? Just wait your turn.

9. You act like we don't exist.
I can't count the number of times I have this conversation a day: 
"Hi! How are you?"
*grumble*
"Anything else?"
*silence*
"Okay, your total is $11.32."
*counts out money*
"Okay, thanks, have a great day!"
*Grabs bag and leaves* 
I hate being ignored by customers. We are required to be friendly, but most of us are friendly naturally. Please treat all cashiers the way you would want to be treated if you were a cashier.

10. You hand us questionable money.
Money from bras, soggy money, money that has just been sneezed/coughed on, money from underwear wastebands, money that has blood on it... I've seen it all. It's just gross. Don't give them to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment