Monday, July 27, 2015

Thoughts from the Long Run- You Can Run Longer


This week I've been thinking a lot about how perspective changes as you running experience grows. Mainly, perspective about distance.

In January 2013, I decided I wanted to be a runner. However, I just thought I would stick with 5Ks, because running more than 3 miles at a time sounded awful. Running a marathon was out of the question.

After about 3 5Ks, I got bored. 5Ks were over too fast! I found myself actually wanting to run longer. I used to think people who ran the Virginia Ten Miler were crazy, but I thought I might try it. My logic was that if you can run 3 miles, you can run 5, and if you can run 5 twice that's 10. I'm still not sure if that's the best logic, but I soon found myself signed up for both the Ten Miler and the Outer Banks Half Marathon.

That November I swore I would never do a marathon. The leap from 3 miles to 13 seemed gradual and logical. But to double that distance? That was crazy.

I've since learned that saying "never" usually gets me in trouble. I ran a marathon, swore I would never do it again, and here I am planning 2 more this year, and at least one 50K in the Spring.

The point of this post is that it takes time. Beginning runners usually don't go out with the mindset of running a marathon. However, as time goes on, it truly does get easier. I used to text Zach crying because I had to stop and walk after a half a mile and was convinced I would never get better. This morning I ran 17 miles (with walk breaks) and felt fantastic about it. A year ago, even though I was training for a marathon, I would have laughed if you told me I would ever think running 17 miles would be fun.

A lot of people have told me they wish they had the drive or ability to run as far as I do. The truth is that you do. I didn't get here overnight, it's been a long journey from January 2013 to get here. Everyone has to start somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! This is all so true!! I never would have thought running 26.2 miles would be run and never in a million years think I would do more than 1!!

    ReplyDelete